Friday, June 8, 2007

What a Week!

This week was crazy!

On Tuesday, I had two of my wisdom teeth out. It was awful! The dentist had to take out some bone on my lower jaw to get at the root. I'm still a bit sore there and the right side of my face is still a little swollen. I'm having the stitches taken out on Wednesday. Matt took this picture of me looking pretty pathetic Tuesday evening.


A few weeks ago, Matt took the written test for his motorcycle permit. So, also on Tuesday, Matt took his first ride on a motorcycle. His buddy, Lane, borrowed this bike from his friend so they could learn to ride it before they go take the driving test. He had a blast that day practicing in the parking lot, and going up the road to an empty church parking lot. I thought he looked pretty cool on the bike, so I took a break from my relaxing and healing :-) and took some pictures of him.


I started summer school today. Well, I had a plan day today, and the kids start Monday - so technically I start on Monday - but I still had to get up early this morning! Anyway, when I got home from work, Matt wanted to ride the bike again. I had a few things to do on the computer, so I was going to be busy anyway. I gave him a kiss, and told him to be careful. He left, and I went to the computer to get my work done. I could hear the bike start. I just barely sat down, when I heard a noise I NEVER want to hear again. I heard the engine rev up, a crash, and a car horn beeping on and off. At first I didn't make the connection...then it hit me - "Was that Matt?". Panic had me thinking that I was about to see the bike and Matt sprawled in front of a car, half-dead if not dead. I ran outside to see Matt running to our upstairs neighbor's door. I looked around the corner and saw the bike crashed on the ground in front of, thank goodness, her parked car. Immediately I started crying. He was still in shock from it all, so he wasn't answering my, "How did it happen?" , "What did you do?" questions. We picked up all the pieces from the bike and checked her car. There's just a few scratches on the front bumper, and a few small dents and scuffs from where Matt fell onto the hood. Matt went to file an accident report with the apartment office, and I came inside our apartment. I immediately hit my knees and thanked my Father in Heaven that my husband is alive. Even though I was never too keen on the idea of him riding a motorcycle, I can't say I told you so - I can't change the past. All I can do is be thankful for what I have right now - and that's a slightly scratched, bruised, banged-up husband, who thankfully doesn't want a motorcycle anymore!

He wants a four-wheeler instead.

3 comments:

Joel & Lila said...

Geeze! I would freak out! Good thing you are calm and collected! I could tell you motorcycle accident stories that would have prevented Matt from ever wanting to ride. Glad to hear that it was a parked car that taught him a lesson that needed to be learned. I wish I was there to bring both of you soup and to take care of you...makes me sad to know my friends are hurting a little.... Is the damage gonna cost you a lot? Shessh, Joel would have wanted to be riding with Matt if we were there, so I guess in a way I am glad that we are here....
Well, I hope to talk to you soon! Send Matt our love and send it to you too! Talk to you soon

Joel & Lila said...

(this is Joel) Oh those pictures of Matt on the motorcycle looked good. I think Matt looks like he belongs on a motorcycle. Hey Matt, do you know what you do when the horse bucks you off? You get back on the horse!

S. Fantasia said...

Poor Matt got a boo-boo!

Shannon, I am with you - I would immediately cry and convince myself Devin was dead the moment I heard something like that (that is just how my mind works...worst-case scenerio first.)! Anyhow, I am glad to hear he is okay. And in response to joel's comment about getting back on the horse... I think the REAL answer to that is you sell the horse and buy something that cannot buck. Like a fish or something. :o)