Sunday, March 23, 2008

Welcome to the Country!

Last night, Matt and I went down to see the rodeo. I didn't hate it...but I didn't love it either. I think Matt felt the same way. Personally, I think those guys are c r a z y! The main events - bareback and saddle riding, steer wresting, wrangling, and roping - were fun to watch. The stuff in between was a little - different. For example. I was a little disturbed to see the event for children riding sheep. The sheep were bucking almost as much as some of the horses and out comes this little kid (under 7 years old) hanging on for dear life. Oh, but they were protected. They wore a helmet. All I kept thinking was, their parents are nuts! But then, I realized that some of my students would be totally into doing that sort of thing...they do it nearly every day on their farms! So, I reminded myself that I'm in the country now and moved on.

The saddest thing happened. (Don't mind the lack of proper rodeo terms...) One of the horses that rounds up the bucking horse after the event got knocked over by the bucking horse. The round-up rider jumped off just before the wild horse got close, so he was okay. But the round-up horse fell to the ground. It's back right leg was under him. For a few minutes he wouldn't get up, but finally got up on his other three legs. The back right leg was shattered. It dangled like a wet sock. Everyone around us was swearing, and making comments about how terrible that was. Me? I got weepy. Here I am with a bunch of cowboys swearing about how terrible it is to lose such a good animal for it's work. And me - I'm cryin' like a sissy for this dang horse that didn't sign up for the horrible atrocity that's happened to him. Again, I had to remind myself that I'm in the country now.

The rest of the rodeo carried on and we enjoyed it. The highlight was that the roper who won his event was a local guy. It was fun to hear the home state cheers of pride when he took his winner's ride around the ring.

During the national anthem, they dropped this enormous American Flag. It was beautiful.

2 comments:

Logan and Kelsey said...

I would have been crying over the horse too. Although that is really sad that the horse will now be killed, cowboys really do take amazing care of their animals. They are like their best friend. So instances like that are rare. I grew up going to a small town rodeo so I love rodeos. I don't like the steer wrestling one though. I am glad you enjoyed parts of the rodeo! This was the 1st year we missed this rodeo! Also, your house is looking good!

S. Fantasia said...

I'm crying about that horse just reading this. I agree with you that it's unfair. The horse didn't volunteer to do that work and with a broken leg, they'll surely have to put him down. poor thing. I hate rodeos. We just go to the livestock show and festivities at ours. Maybe I'll convince Dev to protest this year's in honor of that horsie.